Using Drop Box with AFP
Conrad McGarry updated July 11, 2014 at 12:59 PM
- How can I place files from my computer into another user's drop box?
Drop Box Access Page
Files can be picked up or dropped off using AFP from a Mac anywhere with an internet connection. Files that are placed in the " Public " folder can be viewed by anyone with a web browser. The procedure for this can be found [here] . However only you, the account owner , can place files there. On the other hand, anyone can write to your " Drop Box " folder but only you, the owner , can view its contents.
How to Place files for another user in their Drop Box
- Select " Connect to Server... Connect to Server... " from the " Go Go " menu.
- Type in "igppnethome.ucsd.edu "igppnethome.ucsd.edu " in the Server Address field:
- Type in your username username and password password . If you do not have an account on igppnethome igppnethome , then logging in as a guest will suffice.
- Select the Users Users volume and press OK OK .
- A Finder window should open up displaying the home directories of all of the accounts on igppnethome. If not you will see an icon on your desktop titled " Users." Users."
- Find the folder of the User who you wish to give the file to. Open it and open their Public Public directory.
- Drag Drag and drop drop any file you wish to leave the user in the " Drop Box Drop Box " folder.
- If someone leaves you a file in your " Drop Box Drop Box " folder, you can retrieve it by following steps 1-5 steps 1-5 making sure to log in to igppnethome igppnethome with your network username and password. For step 6 step 6 go to your own folder and open up the Public Public directory. You can now open up Drop Box Drop Box because it is your own folder and you now have the correct permissions. Anything anyone else left you in that folder can now be accessed in this way.
If you need further assistance, please [contactIGPPNetOps] .