32-bit Application Support Discontinued
Here are several ways to check for 32-bit applications on your computer:
- A 3rd party app provides a comprehensive report of 64-bit compatibility:
- System Profiler to check on a specific application:
- Click on Apple Menu > About This Mac > System Report.
- Go down to Software section and click on Applications.
- Select the application to check.
- Look for "Yes" or "No" in the "64-Bit (Intel)" field.
- NOTE: It's possible for System Profiler to report the application is a 64-bit application, but still not work in Catalina.
A terminal command to check if you are using 32-bit applications:
system_profiler SPApplicationsDataType | grep -B 6 -A 2 "(Intel): No" > ~/Desktop/32BitAppList.txt
NOTE: The resulting text file will only return applications specifically listed as 32-bit in System Profiler. There could still be 64-bit applications that still do not work in Catalina.
A couple helpful articles describing the problem and more info on figuring out if you are using 32-bit applications:
Crashplan Backup Application Version 6.x Not Supported