Conrad McGarry updated July 21, 2014 at 1:50 PM
What is Microsoft Safety Scanner?
The Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free downloadable security tool that provides on-demand scanning and helps remove viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. It works with your existing antivirus software. The Microsoft Safety Scanner is not a replacement for using an antivirus software program that provides ongoing protection.
Note: The Microsoft Safety Scanner expires 10 days after being downloaded. To rerun a scan with the latest anti-malware definitions, download and run the Microsoft Safety Scanner again.
- Open the following site: http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx
- Download the scanner by clicking the "Download Now" button.
- Choose the correct version of your installation of windows.
- Save the file into an easily accessible location and run the installation once the download completes.
- Accept the terms of service and proceed.