Conrad McGarry updated July 17, 2014 at 7:29 PM
This wiki describes how to connect to an FTP server using Finder. Note that when mounting an FTP server using Finder, you can only download files from the server; you cannot upload files to the server.
Students or employee of UCSD can obtain a free Fetch client by submitting the following form http://fetchsoftworks.com/fetch/free
- Go to Finder > Go > "Connect to Server..."
- Type in the server address ftp://server-name.domain (see example below). Press Connect.
- If you are connecting to a public FTP server, the server will connect and log in anonymously using "user/anonymous" login and password.
If server requires username and password, enter the required fields and click Connect.
- A Finder window should open containing the files of the FTP server. If it doesn't open automatically, look on the Desktop or in /Volumes for the mounted server.
- Files within the FTP server can be dragged to the Desktop or to the selected directory where you want to download the file.
- When you are finished with the FTP server, drag the server icon to the Trash to eject.