- The Xerox printer continually pauses when I try to print or resume printing. The Xerox printer continually pauses when I try to print or resume printing.
- When I look at the print job info, it tells me that /usr/libexec/cups/backend/lpd failed. When I look at the print job info, it tells me that /usr/libexec/cups/backend/lpd failed.
The 10.6.8 Apple Software Update made changes to the Mac OS X printing system, in particular the /usr/libexec/cups/backend/lpd file. To fix this, replace this file with the 10.6.7 version provided below.
- Go to Finder > Go > Go to folder > /usr/libexec/cups/backend.
- Drag the lpd file to your Desktop. Rename it lpd_backup lpd_backup.
- Download the 10.6.7 lpd file below and replace the existing lpd file in /usr/libexec/cups/backend. lpd
- Open Disk Utility, select your boot drive and run a Repair Disk Permissions. Alternatively you can manually set the ownership and permission with the following two commands:
- sudo chown root:wheel /usr/libexec/cups/backend/lpd
- sudo chmod 700 /usr/libexec/cups/backend/lpd
- Print a test page. If necessary, reinstall your printer drivers and reboot your machine.
- Printer Installer for 10.6 Printer Installer for 10.6: smb://igppsoftware.ucsd.edu/Guest/Printers/10.6_Full_Installer
- Printer Installer for 10.5: Printer Installer for 10.5: smb://igppsoftware.ucsd.edu/Guest/Printers/10.5_Full_Installer
- If the issue is resolved, delete lpd_backup on your Desktop. If not, please contact the IGPP Helpdesk.